Tag Archives: notify employer

What to Tell Your Employer if You’ve Been Hurt on the Job

Posted on by

If you’ve been hurt on the job, one of the main things you need to remember is to notify your employer after the accident.

When should you do that? As soon as is practical after the accident.

Whom should you tell? Tell your supervisor or a lead person at your company. If there was a witness to the accident, also tell that person. In addition, you may want to tell a company nurse or human-resources director.

How do you report the accident? This can be verbal, but the best way to report your accident is in writing. Most employers have accident forms – if your employer has one, use that to report the incident.

When you fill out the form, be specific about how you got hurt, when you got hurt, the date of the accident, who was there, and the pain and symptoms that you have suffered due to that experience. Be specific when you describe the body parts you injured. You may have a primary injury, such as an injury to your back or your neck. Or, you may have a secondary injury, such as an injury to your arm, shoulder, or leg. Make sure you tell your employer about every single injury that you suffered in the accident by writing it down on the accident form.

If you have any questions about whether you have properly notified your employer of an accident, seek the advice of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney and discuss your claim with them.

The offices of Rehm, Bennett, Moore & Rehm, which also sponsors the Trucker Lawyers website, are located in Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska. Five attorneys represent plaintiffs in workers’ compensation, personal injury, employment and Social Security disability claims. The firm’s lawyers have combined experience of more than 95 years of practice representing injured workers and truck drivers in Nebraska, Iowa and other states with Nebraska and Iowa jurisdiction. The lawyers regularly represent hurt truck drivers and often sue Crete Carrier Corporation, K&B Trucking, Werner Enterprises, UPS, and FedEx. Lawyers in the firm hold licenses in Nebraska and Iowa and are active in groups such as the College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG), American Association for Justice (AAJ), the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys (NATA), and the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). We have the knowledge, experience and toughness to win rightful compensation for people who have been injured or mistreated.

This entry was posted in Workers' Compensation, Workplace Injury and tagged , , .