Well-documented Expense Records Increase Value of Your M&T Reimbursement

Posted on by

Today’s post comes from guest author Michael Furdyna from New York. Mileage and travel expenses are usually part of the medical process in a workers’ compensation claim. It’s essential to keep detailed receipts and have a plan for submitting those expenses in a timely manner. Today’s article includes tips and suggestions on how to ensure you are reimbursed fairly for your expenses.

While receiving medical treatment related to a workers’ compensation case, claimants often have additional expenses such as mileage, fuel costs, transportation fares, and out-of-pocket prescriptions. Yet many claimants don’t realize they are entitled to reimbursement for expenses they incur in obtaining treatment.

Submitting information related to these expenses is an important part of the workers’ compensation process. Problems can arise, however, when incomplete or disorganized information is provided to an insurance carrier. This can result in delays and errors in receiving the proper amount to which they are entitled.

Claimants can avoid these sorts of problems with small acts of diligence and record keeping. Here are a few suggestions:

Save your receipts and keep a record of your doctor visits. Keeping a log and saving receipts incurred from specific doctor visits provides a “narrative” that makes it easier to tie together dates and expenses.

Make sure to use the correct form. The New York State WCB requires that reimbursement requests be completed using a C-257 form, which should then be filed with both the insurance carrier and the Board. The form can be downloaded here: http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/forms/c257.pdf

Make sure to use the correct mileage rate. The WCB reimburses mileage using certain amounts covering certain date ranges. The current rate, effective 7/1/2011, is 55.5 cents per mile. In case you have earlier dates, I’ve included the rates back to 2009:

    • 1/1/11 – 7/1/11: 51 cents per mile
    • 1/1/10 – 12/31/10: 50 cents per mile
    • 1/1/09 – 12/31/09: 55 cents per mile

File your M&T reimbursements regularly. Your expenses are more likely to be processed quickly if you file your payments at regular intervals: monthly, bimonthly, or perhaps quarterly if your doctor visits and expenses are infrequent.

Following these steps will limit the back-and-forth between you and the insurance carrier, reduce processing times, and prevent delays in receiving your M&T reimbursement.

The offices of Rehm, Bennett, Moore & Rehm, which also sponsors the Trucker Lawyers website, are located in Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska. Five attorneys represent plaintiffs in workers’ compensation, personal injury, employment and Social Security disability claims. The firm’s lawyers have combined experience of more than 95 years of practice representing injured workers and truck drivers in Nebraska, Iowa and other states with Nebraska and Iowa jurisdiction. The lawyers regularly represent hurt truck drivers and often sue Crete Carrier Corporation, K&B Trucking, Werner Enterprises, UPS, and FedEx. Lawyers in the firm hold licenses in Nebraska and Iowa and are active in groups such as the College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG), American Association for Justice (AAJ), the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys (NATA), and the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). We have the knowledge, experience and toughness to win rightful compensation for people who have been injured or mistreated.

This entry was posted in workers comp basics, Workers' Compensation and tagged , , , .